Western Illinois rallies past NC Central 53-50Feb 3, 2010 - 3:46 AM DURHAM, N.C.(AP) -- David Nurse had 15 points and eight rebounds and Western Illinois rallied to beat North Carolina Central 53-50 on Tuesday night.
Western Illinois (9-13) trailed by 13 in the first half after shooting 4-for-20 from the field. The Leathernecks improved to 64.7 percent in the second half (11-for-17) to snap a two-game skid.
N.C. Central (4-20) led 33-20 with 12:46 left, then Western Illinois used a 16-2 run - capped by a Nurse 3-pointer - to pull ahead 36-35 with 7:34 to go. The Eagles briefly regained the lead, then Nurse hit another 3 to give the Leathernecks the lead for good.
N.C. Central pulled within 51-50 on two C.J. Wilkerson free throws with 11 seconds left, but Ceola Clark made two foul shots with 9 seconds to go. Michael Glasker missed two free throws for the Eagles with 4 seconds left.
Wilkerson led N.C. Central, which has lost five straight, with 20 points.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN ILLINOIS 53
NC CENTRAL 50 FINAL
Feb 2 9:13 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN ILLINOIS 13
NC CENTRAL 22 HALFTIME
Feb 2 7:52 PM
- Strong first half lifts Maryland past NC Central Dec 10
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 10
- Johnson powers UNC over NC Central Nov 15
- No. 6 North Carolina hosts NC Central Nov 14
- Iowa State cruises by NC Central Mar 22
- NC Central seeks upset of Iowa State Mar 21
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Carter leads Wichita State past NC Central Dec 22
- NC Central hopes to shock No. 11 Wichita State Dec 22
- Callahan lifts South Dakota State over Western Illinois in OT Mar 7
- Leathernecks and Jackrabbits seek Summit League championship Mar 6