Wake Forest holds off Miami rally in 62-53 winFeb 3, 2010 - 2:09 AM By AARON BEARD AP Basketball Writer
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- C.J. Harris scored 12 points to help Wake Forest hold off Miami 62-53 on Tuesday night.
Ishmael Smith added 11 points, nine rebounds and six assists for the Demon Deacons (15-5, 5-3 Atlantic Coast Conference), who built a big first-half lead and spent the rest of the night protecting that margin. Wake Forest hardly looked sharp, shooting just 41 percent, committing too many turnovers and getting beaten on the glass to help the Hurricanes hang around in the second half.
Wake Forest led by 17 points midway through the opening half before Miami (16-6, 2-6) clawed back to within three points with about 5 1/2 minutes left. But the Hurricanes came up empty on six straight possessions when the game hung in the balance, sending them to their fifth loss in six games.
Freshman Garrius Adams led Miami with 13 points, including three 3-pointers.
- NCAA BB
MIAMI FL 53
WAKE FOREST 62 FINAL
Feb 2 8:59 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MIAMI (FL) 27 27
WAKE FOREST 36 36 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
MIAMI (FL) - REGGIE JOHNSON 8, GARRIUS ADAMS 7, THREE
PLAYERS WITH 3
WAKE FOREST - C.J. HARRIS 8, FOUR PLAYERS WITH 6
Feb 2 7:54 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8