Central Florida defeats East Carolina 67-56Feb 3, 2010 - 2:36 AM GREENVILLE, N.C.(AP) -- Taylor Young scored 16 points to lead Central Florida to a 67-56 victory over East Carolina on Tuesday night.
Young was 3-for-3 from beyond the arc and had six assists as the Golden Knights (11-11, 3-5 Conference USA) broke a three-game losing streak.
UCF led 24-23 at halftime, but extended its lead to 45-31 on Isaac Sosa's 3-pointer with 11:03 left. The advantage stayed in double figures for the remainder of the game as the Golden Knights shot 52.2 percent from the field (12-for-23) in the second half.
Sosa had 14 points and A.J. Tyler added 10 points and nine rebounds for UCF.
East Carolina (7-15, 1-7), which has lost seven of its past eight, shot only 36.7 percent from the field (11-for-30) in the second half and committed 20 turnovers in the game.
Jamar Abrams led East Carolina with 28 points and Brock Young had eight assists.
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 56 FINAL
Feb 2 8:46 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UCF 24 24
EAST CAROLINA 23 23 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
UCF - ISAAC SOSA 8, TAYLOR YOUNG 5,
P.J. GAYNOR 4
EAST CAROLINA - JAMAR ABRAMS 13, BROCK YOUNG 5,
DARRIUS MORROW 3
Feb 2 7:40 PM
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- No. 13 Cincinnati sneaks past UCF Mar 14