Va. Commonwealth 73, N.C.-Wilmington 60Feb 4, 2010 - 2:48 AM WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- Ed Nixon scored 19 points and Joey Rodriguez added 18 to lead Virginia Commonwealth to a 73-60 victory over North Carolina-Wilmington on Wednesday night.
Nixon came off the bench to hit three 3-pointers and go 7-for-11 from the field. His dunk gave the Rams (16-5, 8-4 Colonial Athletic Association) a 50-40 lead with 14:06 left, an advantage that would remain in double figures for the remainder of the game.
Nixon's 3-pointer increased the margin to 65-48 with 7:56 to play.
It was the seventh win in eight games for the Rams, who shot 51.9 percent from the field (14-for-27) in the second half.
UNC-Wilmington (7-16, 3-9), which has lost eight of nine, shot 35.8 percent from the field (19-for-53) and was 3-for-17 on 3-point attempts (17.6 percent).
Chad Tomko led UNC-Wilmington with 11 points and John Fields added nine points and 11 rebounds.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10