Fairleigh Dickinson holds off Monmouth 75-69Feb 5, 2010 - 4:06 AM HACKENSACK, N.J.(AP) -- Sean Baptiste scored 27 points and Mike Scott 20 for Fairleigh Dickinson, which withstood a second-half Monmouth comeback to win 75-69 on Thursday night.
The Knights (7-16, 6-5 Northeast Conference) led by 22 points, 47-25, less than 3 minutes into the second half, but a 20-4 spurt by the Hawks (10-13, 6-5), which included 10 points by Whitney Coleman, cut the lead to 51-45.
Monmouth twice pulled within five points, the last time trailing 62-57 with 3:46 left.
Scott made a pair of free throws for Fairleigh Dickinson on its next possession for a seven-point lead and, after a missed 3-point try by Coleman, made two more free throws for a 66-57 lead with 2:34 to play.
Baptiste scored 11 points and Scott seven during a 23-9 first-half spurt that turned a 17-15 Fairleigh Dickinson lead into a 40-24 advantage at halftime.
Coleman led Monmouth with 18 points.
- Fla. Gulf Coast, Fairleigh Dickinson face off in First Four Mar 15
- Coach Herenda has Fairleigh Dickinson back in NCAA Tourney Mar 12
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Fairleigh Dickinson 72-70 Feb 13
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Harrison, St. John's pull away from FDU Dec 11
- Red Storm set sights on Knights Dec 10
- Iowa routs FDU Dec 9
- Hawkeyes hope to avoid upset in clash with visiting Knights Dec 9
- Wildcats put up 100 points in Miller's 100th win Nov 19