Western Carolina defeats Georgia Southern 83-68Feb 5, 2010 - 3:05 AM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Brandon Giles scored 19 points, 16 of them in the first half, and Western Carolina defeated Georgia Southern 83-68 on Thursday night.
The Catamounts (18-5, 8-3 Southern Conference) shot 51.5 percent (35-for-68) from the field, including 65.0 percent (26-for-40) by their starters.
Giles made 7 of 9 shots in the first half, which ended with Western Carolina ahead 42-31, and finished 8-for-14. Adrian Gailliard had 15 points on 7-for-7 shooting and Mike Williams added 14 points, shooting 7-for-10,
The Eagles (6-18, 3-18) got no closer than seven points in the second half, pulling within 60-53 with 10:21 left. The Catamounts answered with a 10-3 run for a 70-56 lead with 6:40 left.
Colby Wohlleb scored a career-best 22 points for Georgia Southern, including six 3-pointers. Rory Spencer pulled down nine rebounds for the Eagles and blocked five shots.
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 68
WESTRN CAROLINA 83 FINAL
Feb 4 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 31
WESTRN CAROLINA 42 HALFTIME
Feb 4 7:50 PM
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4