Kennesaw State hits late FTs; beats Mercer 66-63Feb 5, 2010 - 3:53 AM KENNESAW, Ga.(AP) -- Spencer Dixon scored 16 points and Kennesaw State hit its free throws down the stretch to hold off Mercer 66-63 on Thursday night.
Mercer kept the game close throughout the second half, cutting the lead to 64-63 with 8 seconds to play on a layup by James Florence, who finished with a game-high 19 points but had six turnovers.
But the Owls (12-12, 7-6 Atlantic Sun Conference), who made nine out of 10 free throws in the last 2 minutes, got two free throws from the Jon-Michael Nickerson to seal the victory.
Kennesaw State has won six in a row. It's the longest winning streak since the 2005-06 season when the Owls won seven straight.
Daniel Emerson finished with 16 points and 14 rebounds - five offensive - for the Bears (11-12, 7-6), who held an 11-point lead in the first half until Kennesaw State went on a 24-9 run to take a 30-26 halftime lead.
- NCAA BB
KENNESAW ST 66 FINAL
Feb 4 9:34 PM
- NCAA BB
KENNESAW ST 30 HALFTIME
Feb 4 8:24 PM
- Ray, Kennesaw State pull away for 69-59 win over Thomas (Ga) Dec 7
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Kennesaw State names Al Skinner men's hoops coach Apr 26
- Kennesaw State fires hoops coach Lallathin Mar 23
- No. 15 Butler cruises past Kennesaw State Dec 9
- Kennesaw State hits road seeking upset of Butler Dec 8
- Syracuse handles Kennesaw State in opener Nov 15
- 23rd-ranked Orange eye up Owls in season opener Nov 14
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21