Long Island U. holds off St. Francis 62-53Feb 5, 2010 - 3:50 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Jaytornah Wisseh scored 21 points and Long Island University defeated St. Francis (N.Y.) 62-53 on Thursday night.
The Blackbirds (9-13, 7-4 Northeast Conference) snapped a two-game skid while the Terriers (9-13, 6-5) have lost three in a row.
David Hicks added 16 points for Long Island U., going 4-for-4 from 3-point range.
The Blackbirds shot 38.8 percent (19-for-49) from the field and 39.3 percent (11-for-28) from beyond the arc.
Ricky Cadell led St. Francis with 13 points and Akeem Johnson scored 10.
Long Island U. led 34-23 at halftime and increased its lead to 18 with 13:17 to go.
The Terriers drew within 52-46 with 4:48 left. St. Francis cut the deficit to five twice, the last time with 1:04 left, but Long Island U. was 8-for-8 from the free throw line in the last 59 seconds.
The teams will play again Saturday in the annual "Battle of Brooklyn."
- St. Francis Brooklyn holds off Robert Morris 82-72 Feb 20
- St. Francis (BKN) holds off Robert Morris 56-49 Jan 9
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. Francis Nov 18
- Terriers take on Orange in Maui Invitational regional action Nov 18
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Kentucky shoots the lights out against Long Island Nov 24
- LIU promotes Perri to head coach Apr 11