South Alabama knocks off New Orleans 59-51Feb 5, 2010 - 3:51 AM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Tim Williams scored 16 points and had 11 rebounds to lead South Alabama to a 59-51 victory over New Orleans on Thursday night.
Gary Redus added 16 points and eight rebounds for the Jaguars (13-11, 5-7 Sun Belt Conference), who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Redus scored 10 of the Jaguars' first 11 points, going 4-for-4 from the field, as the Jaguars jumped out to an 11-4 lead. South Alabama ended the first half on a 17-4 run to take a 33-23 lead into halftime. Redus finished with 10 first-half points.
New Orleans (7-16, 2-10) opened the second half on a 14-2 run and took a 37-35 lead on Quincy Diggs' 3-pointer with 16 minutes to play. But Martino Brock hit a 3 to give the Jaguars a 42-40 lead with 13:32 left.
Brock finished with 12 points and South Alabama outrebounded New Orleans 40-23.
Devin McDonald led New Orleans with 14 and Carl Blair added 10 points.
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- South Alabama names Graves new basketball coach Mar 25
- Butler downs New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Butler seeks ninth straight win in clash with New Orleans Jan 5
- South Alabama's Arrow retires Dec 19
- South Alabama upends No. 25 Florida State Nov 10
- South Alabama comes calling on No. 25 Florida State Nov 9