South Dakota State turns away Southern Utah 84-60Feb 5, 2010 - 3:23 AM BROOKINGS, S.D.(AP) -- Garrett Callahan scored 17 points and Kai Williams had a double-double to pace South Dakota State to an 84-60 victory over Southern Utah on Thursday night.
Williams had 12 points and 12 rebounds for the Jackrabbits (12-11, 8-4 Summit League), who shot 52.0 percent and held a 39-22 rebounding edge. Clint Sargent scored 14 and Anthony Cordova 13.
Davis Baker paced the Thunderbirds (6-16, 2-9) with 17 points. He also led his team in steals, rebounds and assists.
Southern Utah's Matt Massey scored the first two baskets of the game before South Dakota State embarked on a 10-0 run to grab the lead.
The Thunderbirds went ahead 21-20, but South Dakota State then clamped down and held Southern Utah scoreless for 7:03, forging a 28-21 lead.
The Jackrabbits sealed the outcome when a 10-0 run ending with five straight points by Callahan made it 53-39 with 12:30 left.
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10
- Bison battle Jackrabbits in Summit League finale Mar 10
- No. 23 Northern Iowa tops South Dakota St. Dec 28
- Jackrabbits come calling on 23rd-ranked Panthers Dec 28