Niagara defeats Canisius 66-54 to split seriesFeb 6, 2010 - 3:32 AM LEWISTON, N.Y.(AP) -- Rob Garrison scored 18 points and Anthony Nelson had 17 to lead Niagara to a 66-54 victory over Canisius on Friday night, splitting the season series.
The Purple Eagles (13-12, 6-7 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) scored 26 points off 21 Canisius turnovers and hit 9 of 27 shots from 3-point range.
Niagara, which lost to Canisius 73-70 in overtime on Jan. 29, took a 35-29 halftime lead. The Purple Eagles extended the lead to 44-34 with 16:50 left, but the Golden Griffins used an 11-0 run to pull ahead 45-44 with 12:19 to go.
Niagara responded with an 8-0 run to take the lead for good.
Canisius held Bilal Benn, Niagara's second-leading scorer (14.0) to six points, but he had 11 rebounds.
Julius Coles led the Golden Griffins (11-13, 6-7) with 16 points. Tomas Vazquez-Simmons had 10 points and 11 rebounds for his second double-double of the season.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past Niagara Dec 22
- Notre Dame puts perfect home mark on line against Niagara Dec 21
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Former Canisius basketball coach Curran dies Jan 30
- No. 24 Missouri routs Niagara Nov 17