Dayton starts fast, beats Xavier 90-65Feb 6, 2010 - 7:19 PM By JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
DAYTON, Ohio(AP) -- Chris Johnson started Dayton's opening 17-3 run on Saturday, and the Flyers led by double-digits the rest of the way in a 90-65 victory that knocked Xavier out of first place in the Atlantic 10.
Dayton (16-6, 5-3) was picked to win the Atlantic 10, but came into the game needing to split its season series with Xavier - the three-time defending champion - to stay in contention. The Flyers had lost eight of their last nine against the Musketeers (16-7, 8-2).
Johnson led a balanced offense with 18 points. Chris Wright added 17 and nine rebounds.
Xavier got into foul trouble fast and never recovered, finishing with its most lopsided loss of the season. Senior center Jason Love picked up two fouls in the opening 64 seconds, and backup Kenny Frease joined him on the bench at the 16:37 mark.
Jordan Crawford led Xavier with 24 points.
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31