Longwood 64, N.J. Tech 55Feb 6, 2010 - 9:55 PM NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Dana Smith scored 19 points and Longwood defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology 64-55 on Saturday for its third straight win.
Antwan Carter had 16 points and 13 rebounds, and Aaron Mitchell added 10 points for the Lancers (8-16), who won their third game in a row. It was their second road win in 15 tries this season.
NJIT (7-15) had its two-game winning streak snapped and failed to put together its first three-game streak since the program moved to Division I in the 2006-07 season.
Longwood led 36-20 at halftime and grabbed its largest lead at 38-20 when Mitchell hit a layup to start the second half. NJIT cut the lead to 54-48 on a basket by PJ Miller with 6:40 to play. The Lancers responded with a 6-0 run to push the lead to 60-48 with 2:56 left.
Chris Flores scored 17 points, Jheryl Wilson added 16 and Nick Lopez had 11 for the Highlanders.
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10
- Georgetown plays host to Longwood Dec 10
- No. 14 Creighton soars past Longwood Nov 21
- Longwood faces long odds in clash with No. 14 Creighton Nov 20
- North Dakota claims second straight Great West Conference title Mar 10