Smith leads Wake Forest past Virginia 64-61 in OTFeb 6, 2010 - 7:39 PM CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA.(AP) -- Ishmael Smith scored 15 points and dished out five assists to lead Wake Forest to a 64-61 overtime win over Virginia on Saturday.
Al-Farouq Aminu had 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Demon Deacons (16-5, 6-3 Atlantic Coast Conference), who improved to 4-0 in overtime games this season.
Virginia (14-7, 5-3) was led by Sylven Landesbergs 28 points. Mike Scott was the only other Virginia player to score in double figures with 10 points - none in the second half.
Wake Forest, which outscored Virginia 9-6 in the overtime, moved into third place in the ACC behind Duke and Maryland.
The Demon Deacons shot 48 percent from the field, holding Virginia to 34 percent.
- NCAA BB
FINAL IN 1ST OT 1ST 2ND 1OT TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
WAKE FOREST 29 26 9 64
VIRGINIA 34 21 6 64 FINAL IN 1ST OT
HIGH SCORERS: WAKE FOREST - ISHMAEL SMITH 15, AL-FAROUQ AMINU 13,
C.J. HARRIS 10
VIRGINIA - SYLVEN LANDESBERG 28, MIKE SCOTT 10, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 7
Feb 6 2:24 PM
- NCAA BB
WAKE FOREST 55
VIRGINIA 55 END OF 2ND HALF GOING INTO OVERTIME
Feb 6 2:03 PM
- NCAA BB
WAKE FOREST 29
VIRGINIA 34 HALFTIME
Feb 6 12:52 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15