Flagler leads S. Carolina State over Hampton 72-60Feb 6, 2010 - 11:36 PM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Jason Flagler scored 22 points and Arsenio Williams had 16 as South Carolina State defeated Hampton 72-60 on Saturday.
A jumper by Flagler, who made 9 of 12 shots, started the Bulldogs (12-8, 6-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) on a 13-2 second-half run that gave them a 51-37 lead with 13:06 remaining.
The Bulldogs led by as many as 17 points, 58-41, with 9:34 left and never by less than eight points the rest of the way.
South Carolina State opened a 25-13 lead in the first half but Vince Simpson, who led the Pirates (6-15, 4-6) with 19 points, scored 14 of them during a 14-1 run that gave Hampton a 27-26 lead.
The Bulldogs scored the final six points of the first half to lead 34-29 at intermission.
Led by Williams, South Carolina State's bench outscored Hampton's 33-6.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16