Winthrop defeats Virginia Military Institute 87-83Feb 6, 2010 - 9:20 PM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Reggie Middleton had 22 points and a career-high 10 rebounds, and Winthrop defeated Virginia Military Institute 87-83 on Saturday.
Matt Morgan had 17 points and 10 rebounds, both career highs, and Mantoris Robinson added 12 points and 10 boards for Winthrop (13-10, 9-4 Big South Conference). It was the first time in school history that three players had double-doubles in the same game.
The Eagles, who won their fifth game in a row, completed a sweep of the season series with the win.
VMI, the nation's top-scoring team, trailed 81-63 with 3:36 to play but went on a 20-5 run to pull to within 86-83 with 2 seconds remaining. But Middleton then made 1 of 2 free throw attempts to seal the win.
Keith Gabriel scored 21 points to lead the Keydets (8-15, 3-10). Austin Kenon added 16 points and Stan Okoye had 15 points and 12 rebounds for the Keydets.
- NCAA BB
VMI 83 FINAL
Feb 6 3:14 PM
- NCAA BB
VMI 37 HALFTIME
Feb 6 2:04 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9