Grambling defeats Southern U. 65-59Feb 7, 2010 - 1:26 AM GRAMBLING, La.(AP) -- Donald Qualls scored 19 points and Ariece Perkins had a double-double to lead Grambling to a 65-59 victory over Southern U. on Saturday.
Qualls hit four 3-pointers, and Perkins had 14 points and 12 rebounds as the Tigers (5-13, 3-7 Southwestern Athletic Conference) ended a five-game losing streak.
Grambling used a 16-5 run sandwiched around halftime to take a 43-29 lead with 16:55 remaining. Qualls, Perkins, Rupert Rose and Greg Dillon hit 3-pointers during the run.
Southern (4-18, 2-8) cut the deficit to 58-55 on Tony McGilveary's free throw with 58 seconds to play, but Qualls and Perkins each hit three free throws to push the lead to 64-55 with 21 seconds left.
Madut Bol scored 11 points for Southern, which is 1-7 in its past eight games.
The teams split the season series, with Southern winning 73-67 on Jan. 9.
- NCAA BB
GRAMBLING 69 FINAL
Feb 6 7:46 PM
- NCAA BB
GRAMBLING 33 HALFTIME
Feb 6 6:29 PM
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22