Saunders, Duquesne defeat George Washington 70-63Feb 6, 2010 - 10:05 PM WASHINGTON(AP) -- Damian Saunders scored 27 points and grabbed 16 rebounds to help Duquesne weather the storm and defeat George Washington 70-63 on Saturday.
The Dukes (12-11, 3-6 Atlantic 10 Conference) led 57-50 with 6:55 remaining but the Colonials (12-10, 2-7) cut the lead to one, 64-63, on Damian Hollis' layup with 1:34 left.
Eric Evans' layup gave Duquesne a 66-63 lead and Melquan Bolding's free throw made it 67-63 with 41 seconds left.
Saunders, whose double-double was his 17th this season, rebounded a missed jumper by Lasan Kromah, was fouled by Aaron Ware and made both shots for a 69-63 lead with 28 seconds left.
Kromah scored 15 points and Dwayne Smith 14 to lead George Washington.
Duquesne's buses to the arena on Saturday morning broke down in the nearly 20 inches of snow that blanketed the D.C. area and the team had to take other vehicles to get to the game.
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25
- No. 9 UVA cruises past GW Nov 22