Winston-Salem holds off Howard 62-58Feb 7, 2010 - 12:47 AM WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Shelton Carter scored 15 points, including two late free throws, to propel Winston-Salem to a 62-58 win over Howard on Saturday.
Paul Davis put the Rams ahead 60-52 on a layup with 30 seconds left, but Curtis White hit a 3-pointer and hit three free throws to pull the Bison within two with 13 seconds left.
Carter sank both his free throws for the Rams just seconds later for the final margin, and White missed a late 3 for Howard.
Davis finished with 14 points and Brian Fisher added 10 for the Rams (9-12, 8-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who surpassed last season's win total with their second straight win.
Howard led 6-4 after a pair of early 3-pointers, but Corey Morris dropped in a layup for an 8-6 lead less than 4 minutes in that the Rams would hold the rest of the way.
White finished with 20 points for the Bison (6-18, 5-4).
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 62 FINAL
Feb 6 6:15 PM
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 30 HALFTIME
Feb 6 5:11 PM
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19
- No. 18 Georgetown downs Howard Dec 10
- Bison face tall task in bout with 18th-ranked Hoyas Dec 10
- Terps point guard Howard out with foot injury Oct 27
- Purdue easily wins season opener Nov 14
- Butler's wonderful ride ends 1 win short of title Apr 6
- Trainer: Howard has 'mildest of mild' concussion Apr 4
- North Carolina A&T defeats Howard 65-55 Mar 9
- Hampton rolls past Howard 90-42 Mar 4