Virginia Tech beats Clemson 70-59 with free throwsFeb 6, 2010 - 11:49 PM BLACKSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Malcolm Delaney tied the Virginia Tech single-game record for free throws by scoring 20 of his 30 points from the line and the Hokies used a huge advantage at the stripe to post a 70-59 victory over Clemson on Saturday.
Delaney, the Atlantic Coast Conference's leading scorer coming into the game (19.8 points) and an 85-percent free throw shooter, was 20-for-23 from the line to equal the mark set by Dorenzo Hudson against Seton Hall earlier this season and Terry Penn against The Citadel in 1957.
The Hokies (18-4, 5-3) made 38 of 46 foul shots, season highs in both categories. Clemson went 14-for-21 from the line.
Virginia Tech, 12-0 at home this season, trailed 37-36 with 15:40 remaining before taking control with a 15-4 run.
Tanner Smith, Jerai Grant and David Potter each scored 11 for the Tigers (16-7, 4-5), who shot a season-worst 30.6 percent from the floor.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CLEMSON 27 32 59
VIRGINIA TECH 29 41 70 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: CLEMSON - TANNER SMITH 14, JERAI GRANT 11,
DAVID POTTER 11
VIRGINIA TECH - MALCOLM DELANEY 30, JEFF ALLEN 13,
TERRELL BELL 10
Feb 6 6:25 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 29 HALFTIME
Feb 6 5:07 PM
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Clemson picks up Texas A&M transfer in Elijah Thomas Jan 7
- Coach: Clemson reserve guard Austin Ajukwa transferring Nov 3
- Virginia Tech Hokies deeper in Buzz Williams 2nd season Oct 26
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Clemson Preview Capsule Oct 26
- On The Road: Clemson spending all season away from home Oct 26
- Hokies leading scorer Smith to transfer Mar 26
- Grant leads Notre Dame over Clemson Mar 7
- Irish set sights on Tigers in season finale Mar 7