Campbell beats Fla. Gulf Coast 64-52Feb 7, 2010 - 12:59 AM FORT MYERS, Fla.(AP) -- Lorne Merthie scored 16 points, leading four Campbell players in double figures, and the Camels beat Florida Gulf Coast 64-52 on Saturday.
Miles Taylor added 13 points while Jonathan Rodriguez and Kyle Vejraska chipped in 11 apiece for the Camels (14-9, 9-5 Atlantic Sun Conference), who have won two straight to stay in the hunt in a crowded race for the A-Sun title.
Merthie nailed five 3-pointers, Rodriguez hit two and Amir Celestin added another for the Camels, who finished 8-for-17 from beyond the arc (47.1 percent). Brett Williams hit all four of Florida Gulf Coast's 3s as the Eagles ended up 4-for-11 from long range (36.4 percent).
The Camels scored 21 points off of 15 Eagles turnovers, and had an 18-9 advantage in second-chance points.
Williams led the Eagles (7-17, 4-11) with 19 points and Anthony Banks added 15. The Eagles have lost five games in a row.
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Russell powers Ohio State over Campbell Nov 27
- Camels hope to get over hump in clash with Buckeyes Nov 26
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Campbell tabs McGeehan as head coach Apr 11
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25
- Upstart Eagles take on Aztecs in South Regional dust-up Mar 23