Appalachian St. holds off W. Carolina 89-77Feb 6, 2010 - 11:21 PM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Donald Sims scored 29 points, leading four Appalachian State players in double figures as the Mountaineers held off Western Carolina 89-77 on Saturday.
Isaac Butts added 14 points while Josh Hunter and Marcus Wright had 10 points apiece for the Mountaineers (13-10, 7-4 Southern Conference). Appalachian State completed a sweep of the season series with Western Carolina, a feat the Mountaineers have accomplished five of the past six seasons.
Sims was 8-of-11 shooting with four 3-pointers and went 9-for-9 from the foul line for Appalachian State, which finished 24-for-28 at the stripe (85.7 percent). The Catamounts were just 7-for-13 on free throws (53.8 percent).
The Mountaineers shot 60 percent from the field (30-for-50) compared to a 44.8 mark (30-for-67) for the Catamounts.
Brandon Giles and Jake Robinson scored 19 points apiece for Western Carolina (18-6, 8-4).
- NCAA BB
APPALACHIAN ST 89
WESTRN CAROLINA 77 FINAL
Feb 6 5:04 PM
- NCAA BB
APPALACHIAN ST 36
WESTRN CAROLINA 34 HALFTIME
Feb 6 3:57 PM
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14
- Whittington, Georgetown down Western Carolina Dec 15
- Catamounts seek upset of 15th-ranked Hoyas Dec 15
- Richardson leads No. 13 Illinois past Western Carolina Dec 5
- No. 13 Illinois plays host to Western Carolina Dec 4
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1