Sanders leads VCU past Old Dominion 70-58Feb 6, 2010 - 11:34 PM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Larry Sanders scored 11 of his 14 points in the second half to lead Virginia Commonwealth to a 70-58 win over Old Dominion on Saturday.
The Rams (17-5, 9-4 Colonial Athletic Association), who won for the eighth time in their last nine games, held the Monarchs to two field goals after Darius James 3-pointer with 7:55 remaining.
Old Dominion (18-7, 10-3) dropped to 1-10 at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.
Sanders, VCU's leading scorer, sat out the first 4:10 due to a disciplinary infraction. Kirill Pishchalnikov replaced him in the starting lineup and scored six of the Rams first eight points.
Virginia Commonwealth turned up its defense early in the second half, forcing seven turnovers in the first 10 minutes and took a 51-45 lead. Sanders led the rally with nine points.
The Rams grabbed the lead for good during an 11-2 run on Sanders' tip-in with 15:07 left.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10