Thomas, Pondexter send UW over ASUFeb 7, 2010 - 5:48 AM By GREGG BELL AP Sports Writer
SEATTLE(AP) -- Isaiah Thomas responded from being benched the game before to score 17 points, Quincy Pondexter added 17 and resurgent Washington cruised to a 79-56 victory over Arizona State on Saturday night.
The Huskies (16-7, 6-5 Pac-10) and Sun Devils (16-8, 6-5) are in a five-way tie for second place in the scrambled conference, one game behind California. Seven games remain in the league's regular season.
Washington coach Lorenzo Romar benched Thomas at times in Thursday's win over Arizona for not leading the offense efficiently. Unfazed, last season's Pac-10 freshman of the year ignited a 25-6 run to begin the game as the Huskies avenged a 17-point loss in Tempe last month.
Justin Holiday had seven points, 10 rebounds and another game-changing night of defense for Washington, which next plays at Cal on Thursday night.
Demetrius Walker led ASU with 14 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARIZONA STATE 25 31 56
WASHINGTON 42 37 79 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: ARIZONA STATE - DEMETRIUS WALKER 14, TY ABBOTT 10,
ERIC BOATENG 9
WASHINGTON - QUINCY PONDEXTER 17, ISAIAH THOMAS 17,
MATTHEW BRYAN-AMANING 12
Feb 7 12:33 AM
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA ST 25
WASHINGTON 42 HALFTIME
Feb 6 11:30 PM
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Washington's Murray, Chriss declare for NBA draft Mar 23
- Why Washington? ACC flexes muscles in big basketball market Mar 8
- Syracuse basketball rallies for ailing Dwayne Washington Mar 1
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Romar reprimanded by Pac-12 for comments after Huskies loss Feb 26
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out Feb 9
- Andrews putting together star season for surprising Huskies Feb 2
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- It's early but Washington the only undefeated team in Pac-12 Jan 13