Iona knocks off Marist 56-51Feb 7, 2010 - 10:15 PM POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y.(AP) -- Scott Machado scored 17 points as Iona pulled away late for a 56-51 victory over Marist on Sunday.
Rashon Dwight added 12 points and the Gaels (18-7, 10-4 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) held Marist to one field goal in the final 3:49 to win for the ninth time in 10 games.
Marist pulled to 50-48 on Candon Rusin's free throw with 3:12 remaining, but Dwight and Machado followed with four consecutive free throws for a 54-48 advantage with 51 seconds to play.
Marist missed three 3-point attempts before Iona's Jermel Jenkins added two more free throws for a 56-48 lead with 12 seconds left. Marist's Rob Johnson hit a 3 with 7 seconds left for the final margin.
Iona didn't score from the field after Machado's layup with 7:51 to play.
Alejo Rodriguez had nine points and 10 rebounds for Iona.
Rusin scored 17 and Daye Kaba had 10 points for Marist (1-23, 1-13).
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Marist hires Maker to replace Bower Jun 17
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10