Balanced Northwestern beats Indiana again 78-61Feb 7, 2010 - 9:47 PM EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- John Shurna led five Northwestern players in double figures with 16 points Sunday as the Wildcats defeated Indiana 78-61 for their first three-game winning streak against the Hoosiers in eight decades.
Luka Mirkovic added 14 points and Jeremy Nash 13 for Northwestern (16-7, 5-6 Big Ten), which is only one victory from the single-season school record set in 1982-83 and matched last year.
While Northwestern makes progress toward what it hopes will be its first NCAA tournament bid, times remain tough for traditional powerhouse Indiana (9-13, 3-7).
Verdell Jones III scored a career-high 28 points for the young, rebuilding Hoosiers, who have won five NCAA titles and have made 35 tournament appearances but went 6-25 last season. They suffered their fourth consecutive loss and seventh in nine games.
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 78 FINAL
Feb 7 4:41 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 40 HALFTIME
Feb 7 3:27 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14