Appalachian St beats UNC-Greensboro 75-69Feb 9, 2010 - 2:27 AM GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Kellen Brand and Donald Sims scored 16 points apiece, and Josh Hunter finished with a double-double, leading Appalachian State to a 75-69 win over North Carolina-Greensboro on Monday night.
Hunter scored 10 points and grabbed 11 boards for the Mountaineers (14-10, 8-4 Southern Conference), who have won back to back games and completed a sweep of the Spartans. Appalachian State also beat UNC-Greensboro 72-64 on Jan. 16.
Brand and Sims each went a perfect 6-for-6 from the foul line for the Mountaineers, who finished 22-for-26 from the charity stripe (84.6 percent). The Spartans ended up 18-for-24 (75 percent).
In a close game throughout, the Spartans took a 60-58 lead on Kyle Randall's jumper with just under 7 minutes to go. But Hunter's layup sparked a 7-0 Mountaineers run, and they never trailed again.
Randall scored 18 points to lead the Spartans (5-19, 4-9).
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Missouri handles Appalachian State Dec 2
- Mountaineers face uphill climb in clash with 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 1
- Zeller and North Carolina cruise past App State Dec 17
- Hoyas bounce back with win over Appalachian State Dec 12
- Appalachian State hires Capel as new coach Apr 21
- Pacific topples Appalachian State 64-56 Mar 25
- Wofford beats Appalachian St, earns 1st NCAA berth Mar 9
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6