Mercer defeats SC-Upstate 83-69Feb 9, 2010 - 3:34 AM MACON, Ga.(AP) -- Jeff Smith scored 22 points to lead Mercer to an 83-69 win over South Carolina-Upstate on Monday night.
Brandon Moore added a career-high 16 points for the Bears (12-12, 8-6 Atlantic Sun Conference), while James Florence finished with 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists and five steals.
SC-Upstate used a 10-0 run to jump out to a 37-18 lead with 4:53 remaining in the first half, and led 47-35 at halftime.
The Bears bounced back in the second half, using an 18-0 run to take a 57-51 lead after a 3-pointer from Moore with 11:45 remaining. Mercer would go on to lead for the remainder of the contest, and finished the game with a 7-0 run.
The Spartans (4-19, 4-10) were paced by Ryan LeGates, who scored 14 points. SC-Upstate has lost four of their last five games.
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Florida Gulf Coast downs Mercer for Atlantic Sun Tournament crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears clash for A-Sun title Mar 9
- No. 25 New Mexico stomps Mercer Nov 29