Hampton beats Winston-Salem 55-53Feb 9, 2010 - 3:52 AM WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Vincent Simpson knocked down a 3-pointer with 13 seconds left, lifting Hampton to a 55-53 win over Winston-Salem State on Monday night.
Simpson, who finished with 12 points, scored seven of those in a row in the game's final 1:35 for the Pirates.
Brian Fisher's layup with 1:53 left put the Rams up 50-48, but Simpson took over from there. He hit two free throws, dropped in a layup and then finished the Rams off with his final 3-pointer.
Andrew Jackson missed a late 3 for a chance to tie for the Rams.
Charles Funches also scored 12 points as the only other player in double figures for the Pirates (8-15), who have alternated wins and losses since taking back to back games in early January.
Fisher was the lone player in double figures for the Rams (9-13), scoring 11. The Rams missed a chance to extend their winning streak to a season-best three games.
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 53 FINAL
Feb 8 9:29 PM
- NCAA BB
WINSTON SALEM 27 HALFTIME
Feb 8 8:23 PM
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Irving returns as Duke routs Hampton Mar 18
- Hampton tops Morgan State for MEAC title Mar 12