Akron 56, Cent. Michigan 52Feb 10, 2010 - 2:25 AM MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. (AP) -- Steve McNees scored 16 points, making everything he tried from the field and the line, and Akron finished on a 12-3 run to overtake Central Michigan 56-52 on Tuesday night.
McNees made all four shots - each a 3-pointer - and all four free throws to lead the Zips (18-7, 8-3 Mid-American), who won for the fifth time in six games. Jimmy Conyers and Darryl Roberts added 11 points apiece.
Jordan Bitzer scored 20 points and Robbie Harman 13 for the Chippewas (11-11, 6-4). Bitzer became the 26th player in school history with 1,000 points; he has 1,018.
Bitzer's 3-pointer started a 10-0 spurt that gave Central Michigan a 41-30 lead with 14:05 to play. His basket put the Chippewas up 51-46 with 2:21 left, but the Zips closed with their 12-3 rush.
Akron held its 10th opponent to 59 or fewer points and is 10-0 in those games.
- NCAA BB
CENTRL MICHIGAN 52 FINAL
Feb 9 8:52 PM
- NCAA BB
CENTRL MICHIGAN 27 HALFTIME
Feb 9 7:46 PM
- Buffalo downs Central Michigan for MAC title Mar 14
- Bulls lock horns with Chippewas in MAC title Mar 14
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- No. 2 Michigan holds off Central Michigan Dec 29
- Wolverines hope to avoid upset in clash with Chippewas Dec 29
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9