Richmond defeats Rhode Island 69-67Feb 11, 2010 - 3:19 AM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- David Gonzalvez scored 19 points and Richmond defeated Rhode Island 69-67 on Wednesday night.
The Spiders (19-6, 8-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) shot 73.7 percent (14 of 19) in the second half, and used a late 9-1 run to win their fifth straight and move into a tie for first in the A-10 with Charlotte and Xavier.
Richmond trailed 65-60 with 3:03 left, and Gonzalvez's 3 put the Spiders up 67-66 with 1:22 to play. Kevin Anderson, who finished with 16 points, hit a layup to put Richmond ahead 69-66 with 23 seconds left.
Stevie Mejia then made one of two free throws for the Rams (19-4, 7-3). Rhode Island kept possession after Richmond lost control out of bounds on Mejia's miss. The Rams inbounded with 4.9 seconds left, but Cothran's 3 missed the mark with 1 second to go.
Delroy James scored 13 and Cothran 11 for Rhode Island, which snapped a four-game winning streak.
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- Richmond nips No. 22 VCU in double OT Feb 26
- Bragging rights on line in clash between Rams and Spiders Feb 25
- Richmond upsets VCU in Capital City Classic Jan 31
- Rams butt heads with cross-town rival Spiders Jan 31
- No. 22 Dayton edges Richmond Jan 24
- 22nd-ranked Flyers set sights on Spiders Jan 24
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13