Sam Houston State defeats Nicholls State 75-69Feb 11, 2010 - 4:37 AM THIBODAUX, La.(AP) -- Ashton Mitchell scored 18 points and Sam Houston State defeated Nicholls State 75-69 on Wednesday night for its ninth straight win.
The Bearkats (17-5, 9-0 Southland Conference) led 39-25 with 18:27 left, before the Colonels (7-16, 3-7) went on a 17-4 run. Dominic Friend's three-point play pulled Nicholls State within 43-42 with 12:41 to go.
The two teams traded baskets until Fred Hunter's layup tied it at 64-64 with 2:38 to go.
Sam Houston State then got a layup from Ashton Mitchell and made 7 of 8 free throws to pull away.
After Nicholls State took an early 6-0 lead with 15:23 left in the first half, the Bearkats went on a 29-6 run, capped by Corey Allmond's free throws with 4:54 left in the half.
Lance Pevehouse scored 13 points and Allmond finished with 12 for Sam Houston State.
Hunter led Nicholls State with 26 points and Anatoly Bose added 19.
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 75
NICHOLLS ST 69 FINAL
Feb 10 9:34 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 34
NICHOLLS ST 25 HALFTIME
Feb 10 8:27 PM
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Wisconsin crushes Nicholls Dec 13
- Colonels face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 13
- No. 19 Michigan eases past Nicholls Nov 30
- Wolverines seek redemption in clash with visiting Colonels Nov 29
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- Memphis dominates Nicholls State Nov 23
- Colonels face uphill climb in clash with 11th-ranked Tigers Nov 23
- Appling, Michigan State rout Nicholls State Dec 1