College of Charleston defeats Elon 80-77Feb 12, 2010 - 4:15 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Donavan Monroe scored a career-high 29 points, with 22 coming in the first half, and the College of Charleston defeated Elon 80-77 on Thursday night.
The Cougars (17-9, 12-3 Southern Conference) led 49-38 at halftime before the Phoenix (6-18, 4-9) tied it midway through the second half. Scott Grable, who finished with 12 points, converted a three-point play to make it 64-64 with 7:13 to go.
Andrew Goudelock then hit back-to-back jumpers to spark an 11-4 College of Charleston run over 5 minutes. Goudelock's jumper put the Cougars ahead 75-68 with 1:59 remaining.
The College of Charleston then went 5-for-6 from the free throw line down the stretch to seal the win. It marks the 17th time in 18 seasons the Cougars reached at least 17 wins.
Adam Constantine scored 24 points and grabbed 14 rebounds for the Phoenix, who snapped a two-game winning streak.
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 80 FINAL
Feb 11 8:49 PM
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 49 HALFTIME
Feb 11 7:51 PM
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- West Virginia routs College of Charleston Nov 30
- Cougars hit road to challenge 21st-ranked Mountaineers Nov 29
- No. 17 UConn fends off Charleston Nov 20
- Huskies take on Cougars in Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov 20
- College of Charleston fires Wojcik Aug 5
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31