Quinnipiac defeats Long Island 80-72Feb 13, 2010 - 9:55 PM HAMDEN, Conn.(AP) -- James Johnson scored 23 points and Quinnipiac defeated Long Island 80-72 on Saturday.
Leading 38-35 at halftime, the Bobcats (18-7, 12-2 Northeast Conference) shot 57,.7 percent (15 of 26), while holding the Blackbirds to 35.5 percent shooting (11 of 31) in the second half.
Long Island (10-15, 8-6) took a 31-30 lead on Jaytornah Wisseh's jump shot with 4 minutes left in the first half. Quinnipiac then outscored the Blackbirds 8-4 until halftime, including five points by Dave Johnson. Johnson's jumper with 4 seconds left gave the Bobcats their halftime advantage, and they wouldn't trail the rest of the way.
David Hicks added 14 points, Jamal Olasewere 12 and Michael Culpo 10 for Quinnipiac, which won for the 11th time in its last 12 games and defeated Long Island for the ninth straight time.
Johnson paced the Blackbirds with 23 points and James Feldeine finished with 17.
- NCAA BB
LONG ISLAND 72
QUINNIPIAC 80 FINAL
Feb 13 4:25 PM
- NCAA BB
LONG ISLAND 35
QUINNIPIAC 38 HALFTIME
Feb 13 3:16 PM
- Iona-Quinnipiac hoops game postponed Jan 2
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Kentucky shoots the lights out against Long Island Nov 24
- Napier, UConn down Quinnipiac in 2-OT Nov 19
- Huskies and Bobcats meet in Paradise Jam semifinals Nov 18
- Quinnipiac extends Moore through 2016-17 season Jul 11
- LIU promotes Perri to head coach Apr 11
- Green's triple-double leads MSU past Long Island Mar 17
- Spartans hope to avoid upset in NCAA Tourney clash with Blackbirds Mar 16