Illinois State edges Creighton 67-63Feb 13, 2010 - 10:58 PM OMAHA, Neb.(AP) -- Osiris Eldridge and Dinma Odiakosa scored 12 points each as Illinois State edged Creighton 67-63 on Saturday.
The victory allowed the Redbirds (18-8, 9-6) to move into third place in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Bluejays (13-13, 8-7) lost at home for just the second time this season.
There were three ties and 14 lead changes in the second half - 11 during an 11-minute stretch in which neither team led by more than three.
Odiakosa finally broke that string by giving Illinois State a 60-55 advantage with 4:11 to play. The Redbirds extended their lead to seven on a steal and breakaway basket by Lloyd Phillips with 3:47 left.
Trailing by two, the Bluejays turned the ball over on their final possession without getting off a shot. Phillips then sealed the game with two free throws.
Kenny Lawson had 20 points for Creighton to lead all scorers.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS ST 67
CREIGHTON 63 FINAL
Feb 13 5:16 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS ST 31
CREIGHTON 30 HALFTIME
Feb 13 3:56 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3