Morgan gets 11, Winthrop beats Presbyterian 66-53Feb 13, 2010 - 11:20 PM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Matt Morgan scored 11 points and Reggie Middleton and Gideon Gamble scored 10 each as Winthrop defeated Presbyterian 66-53 on Saturday.
Eight of Gamble's points came in the second half. After the Blue Hose (4-22, 2-12 Big South Conference) cut a 10-point deficit to four, 37-33, Gamble's 3-pointer gave the Eagles (14-10, 10-4) a 40-33 lead with 12:00 left.
Presbyterian got within six, 42-36, with 10:08 left on a 3-pointer by Chase Holmes, but baskets by Chris Malcolm and Justin Burton widened Winthrop's lead to 46-36 at the 8:31 mark.
The Eagles got twice as many free throw chances, going 19-for-24 - including 14-for-17 in the second half - while the Blue Hose were 10-for-12. Presbyterian turned the ball over 17 times to Winthrop's eight.
Holmes led the Blue Hose with 13 points, while Ryan Hargrave had 11 and Khalid Mutakabbir 10.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Murray free throws allow Presbyterian to top Piedmont, 69-65 Dec 19
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Okafor makes NCAA debut, Duke routs Presbyterian Nov 15
- Blue Devils take on Blue Hose is season debut Nov 14
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16