Oakland, Mich., stays hot, defeats UMKC 83-71Feb 14, 2010 - 3:18 AM KANSAS CITY, Mo.(AP) -- Johnathon Jones made 8 of 9 shots and scored 23 points to help Oakland, Mich., defeat UMKC 83-71 on Saturday night.
Larry Wright added 20 points and Keith Benson had a double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds for the Golden Grizzlies (20-8, 14-1 Summit League), who notched their first back-to-back 20-win seasons in the Division I era.
Oakland blazed the nets for 63.0 percent shooting (29 of 46), including 9 of 17 from 3-point range. The Golden Grizzlies also owned a 34-27 rebounding edge.
Trey McKinney-Jones scored 22 points to lead the Kangaroos (11-14, 5-9). LaTreze Mushatt added 21 and Jay Couisnard 12.
Oakland's first-half lead peaked at 41-26 on Jones' basket. The Kangaroos closed the gap to 41-32 at halftime.
The Golden Grizzlies have won five straight and are 14-1 in their last 15 and 21-1 in their last 22 league games.
- NCAA BB
UMKC 71 FINAL
Feb 13 9:58 PM
- NCAA BB
UMKC 32 HALFTIME
Feb 13 8:59 PM
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- Wells helps No. 15 Maryland beat Oakland Dec 27
- Terps close out non-conference slate against Grizzlies Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona routs Oakland Dec 17
- Oakland hits road seeking upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 16
- No. 14 Iowa State coasts to win over UMKC Dec 10
- Kangaroos hoping to bounce past 14th-ranked Cyclones Dec 9
- Niang guides Iowa State over Oakland Nov 15
- Oakland pays visit to No. 14 Iowa State Nov 14