Louisiana Tech defeats Hawaii 66-60Feb 14, 2010 - 3:48 AM RUSTON, La.(AP) -- Kyle Gibson scored 15 points, including six free throws in the final 53 seconds, to help Louisiana Tech hold off Hawaii 66-60 on Saturday night.
Gibson finished 9-for-12 from the line and the Bulldogs (20-5, 8-3 Western Athletic Conference) hit nine free throws in the last minute.
Olu Ashaolu's layup gave Louisiana Tech a 57-53 lead with 1:36 to play, Gibson hit two free throws and Jamel Guyton hit another free throw for a 60-53 advantage with 33 seconds left.
Hawaii's Hiram Thompson scored three straight points to cut the lead to 60-56 with 25 seconds to play, but Guyton hit two more free throws.
The Bulldogs shot only 51.7 percent from the line (15-for-29).
Magnum Rolle added 12 points, Guyton had 11, DeAndre Brown scored 10 and Ashaolu added 11 rebounds.
Thompson scored 14, Roderick Flemings had 13 and Brandon Adams added 12 for Hawaii (9-15, 2-9).
- Hawaii guard Aaron Valdes to turn professional Apr 7
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- U of Hawaii appeals NCAA men's basketball postseason ban Jan 6
- NCAA puts University of Hawaii men's basketball on probation Dec 22
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- WSU outlasts Hawaii in OT to reach Diamond Head Classic finals Dec 23
- Shockers and Rainbow Warriors meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Hawaii names Benjy Taylor men's basketball coach Oct 31
- Hawaii fires men's hoops coach Arnold Oct 28
- Tulsa edges Louisiana Tech to win C-USA title Mar 15