Iona knocks off Loyola 70-62Feb 14, 2010 - 9:58 PM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Scott Machado scored 12 points to lead Iona to a 70-62 victory over Loyola (Md.) on Sunday.
Jonathan Huffman scored 11 points and Trinity Fields added 10 as the Gaels (19-8, 11-5 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) won for the second time in three games.
There were 48 personal fouls, three players fouled out and the teams combined for 63 free throw attempts. Iona was 23 of 31 (74.2 percent) and Loyola was 25-32 (78.1 percent) from the line.
The Gaels led throughout, but Loyola (12-13, 5-10), which had won two straight games, cut the deficit to 47-43 on J'hared Hall's 3-pointer with 13:10 to play. Iona pushed the lead to 49-43, but Loyola's Brett Harvey hit three straight free throws before Huffman hit two 3-pointers to key an 8-2 run for a 57-48 advantage with 8:19 left.
Hall scored 14 points and Harvey and Jawaan Wright scored 13 each for Loyola.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10
- Cluess given extension at Iona Mar 6