Northwestern rallies past Minnesota 77-74 in OTFeb 15, 2010 - 12:50 AM By ANDREW SELIGMAN AP Sports Writer
EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- John Shurna scored 22 points, Drew Crawford added 18 points and nine rebounds, and Northwestern rallied from 13 down in the second half to beat struggling Minnesota 77-74 in overtime on Sunday.
Down three in overtime, the Wildcats (17-8, 6-7 Big Ten) scored nine straight points to make it 68-62. They also converted 9-of-10 free throws in the extra period and tied the program's regular season wins record after dropping three of their previous five.
Lawrence Westbrook led Minnesota (14-10, 5-7) with 22 points, but the Golden Gophers lost for the seventh time in 10 games and saw their postseason hopes take another blow.
Minnesota was leading 62-59 after a 3-pointer by Blake Hoffarber early in the extra period, but Michael Thompson answered with one of his own, sparking the 9-0 run.
- NCAA BB
FINAL IN 1ST OT 1ST 2ND 1OT TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
MINNESOTA 32 25 17 74
NORTHWESTERN 24 33 20 74 FINAL IN 1ST OT
HIGH SCORERS: MINNESOTA - LAWRENCE WESTBROOK 22, DEVOE JOSEPH 16,
PAUL CARTER 13
NORTHWESTERN - JOHN SHURNA 22, DREW CRAWFORD 18,
MICHAEL THOMPSON 13
Feb 14 7:17 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN 24 HALFTIME
Feb 14 5:51 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Despite dismal season, Pitino exudes optimism for future Mar 10
- Pitino to assess status of 3 suspended players after season Mar 8
- Suspended Minnesota player reported theft of phone to police Mar 3
- Minnesota's Pitino suspends 3 players for rest of season Mar 1
- AP source: Minnesota players punished for explicit video Feb 29