Jackson State defeats Texas Southern 70-67 in OTFeb 16, 2010 - 5:25 AM HOUSTON(AP) -- Garrison Johnson hit seven 3-pointers and scored 27 points as Jackson State defeated Texas Southern 70-67 in overtime Monday night.
Tyrone Hanson added 18 points for Jackson State (14-11, 12-1 Southwestern Athletic), which has won eight straight and 14 of 15.
Junior Treasure led Texas Southern (12-12, 8-4) with 23 points before fouling out early in overtime.
There were four lead changes and two ties in OT before Jackson State scored five straight points on a 3 by Johnson and a layup by Hanson to take a 65-61 lead with 59 seconds left. A layup by Deandre Hall pulled Texas Southern to within 69-67 with 4 seconds left, but it didn't get off another shot.
After Johnson's fifth 3 gave Jackson State a one-point lead with 23 seconds remaining in regulation, Marc Ellis hit 1-of-2 free throws with 8 seconds remaining to tie the score at 53, leading to overtime.
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 70
TEXAS SOUTHERN 67 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Feb 15 11:29 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 53
TEXAS SOUTHERN 53 END OF 2ND HALF GOING INTO OVERTIME
Feb 15 11:07 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 24
TEXAS SOUTHERN 28 HALFTIME
Feb 15 10:02 PM
- Arizona cruises by Texas Southern Mar 19
- Arizona starts tournament play against Texas Southern Mar 19
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- Texas Southern stuns No. 25 Michigan State in OT Dec 20
- Weary Tigers visit 25th-ranked Spartans Dec 20
- Gonzaga crushes Texas Southern Dec 16
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with Bulldogs Dec 15
- Cal Poly shuts down Texas Southern to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- Mustangs and Tigers duke it out for spot in field of 64 Mar 19
- Texas Southern ends Prairie View's Cinderella run, wins SWAC Mar 15
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28