Jones leads South Florida past Cincinnati 65-57Feb 17, 2010 - 2:45 AM By FRED GOODALL AP Sports Writer
TAMPA, Fla.(AP) -- Dominique Jones scored 26 points and South Florida overcame poor shooting in the first half to stop a two-game Big East losing streak with a 65-57 victory over Cincinnati on Tuesday night.
The Bulls (16-9, 6-7) scored the first nine points of the second half to build a 33-23 lead. Cincinnati, coming off a 12-point road win that gave the Bearcats a season sweep of Connecticut, couldn't get closer than eight the rest of the way.
Jones had 19 points in the second half, 11 of them during the 23-6 run that put USF up 47-29 with 9 minutes to go. Deonta Vaughn scored 11 of his 14 points in the final 2:59 for Cincinnati (15-10, 6-7).
Mike Mercer had 12 points and Augustus Gilchrist added 10 for South Florida, which rebounded from road losses to Notre Dame and Marquette that followed a school-record four consecutive victories in conference play.
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15
- Still-unbeaten Kentucky grinds out win over Cincinnati Mar 21
- Bearcats on tap to test undefeated Wildcats Mar 21
- Cincinnati edges Purdue in OT thriller Mar 20
- Bearcats battle Boilermakers in Midwest Region Mar 19
- Cincinnati completes sweep of SMU Feb 6
- Mustangs set sights on Bearcats in AAC action Feb 5
- Cincinnati coach Cronin out for rest of season Jan 2