Kool, Western Michigan top Northern Illinois 90-81Feb 18, 2010 - 2:52 AM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- David Kool scored 33 points, including 11 in a row during a game-turning run in the second half, to lead Western Michigan past Northern Illinois 90-81 on Wednesday night.
Kool, the Mid-American Conference's leading scorer, hit 16 of 17 free throws for the Broncos (14-12, 6-7).
Flenard Whitfield added 16 points, Donald Lawson had a double-double of 13 points and 10 rebounds and Martelle McLemore scored 12.
Xavier Silas' 23 points included five 3-pointers for the Huskies (8-17, 4-9), who dropped their ninth consecutive league game. Sean Kowal had 17 points and eight rebounds, and Michael Patton scored 12.
Patton's 3-pointer gave Northern Illinois a 51-47 lead with 14:23 left. Then Kool began his 11-point run. His 3-pointer with 9:52 left ended the streak and put the Broncos up 58-57, and the Huskies never regained the lead.
Northern Illinois led 35-32 at halftime.
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 81
WESTRN MICHIGAN 90 FINAL
Feb 17 9:44 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 35
WESTRN MICHIGAN 32 HALFTIME
Feb 17 7:59 PM
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15