UC Santa Barbara wins 73-65 to stay in firstFeb 18, 2010 - 5:45 AM FULLERTON, Calif(AP) -- James Nunnally and Orlando Johnson each scored 18 points as UC Santa Barbara defeated Cal State Fullerton, 73-65, in Big West Conference play on Wednesday night.
Jamie Serna added 13 points for the first-place Gauchos (15-8, 10-3). The Gauchos forced 17 turnovers and only committed nine. They needed to protect the ball due to the fact they were dominated on the glass.
The Titans (13-12, 7-6) outrebounded UC Santa Barbara 44-28, including a 17-8 advantage on offensive boards. The Titans had three top scores all finish with 14 points (Gerrard Anderson, Aaron Thompson, and Eric Williams). Thompson grabbed 10 rebounds to go with his 14 points.
UC Santa Barbara led by as many as 10 in the first half but only led 35-34 at the half. The Titans led by as many as five with 9:06 left to play. The Gauchos would tie the score at 55-55 and take a lead they would never lose.
- Coggins' 19 leads CS Fullerton past CS East Bay, 75-52 Jan 3
- Kansas handles challenge from UCSB Nov 15
- No. 5 Kansas lifts lid on season against UC Santa Barbara Nov 14
- Coggins transfers from Air Force to Cal State Fullerton Jul 30
- UCLA takes care of UC Santa Barbara Dec 4
- Gauchos and Bruins mix it up in Golden State fracas Dec 3
- Marquette tops Cal State Fullerton Nov 28
- Golden Eagles eye up Titans in Wooden Legacy Nov 28
- Taylor named CS Fullerton coach Apr 3
- San Diego State handles UC Santa Barbara Dec 7
- No. 17 Aztecs play host to Gauchos Dec 6
- Long Beach State downs UCSB for Big West title Mar 11