Houston Baptist beats NJIT 62-58Feb 19, 2010 - 3:53 AM NEWARK, N.J.(AP) -- Andrew Gonzalez scored 31 points and Wendell Preadom added 17 to lead Houston Baptist to a 62-58 win over New Jersey Institute of Technology on Thursday night.
Gonzalez went 14-for-16 from the foul line for the Huskies, who finished 21-for-23 from the stripe (91.3 percent). NJIT was just 8-for-17 from the line (40 percent).
NJIT led by nine points going into the locker room, but Houston Baptist (7-19, 6-2 Great West Conference) outscored the Highlanders 40-27 to seal it in the second half.
The Highlanders lost despite outrebounding the Huskies 42-34. Houston Baptist forced NJIT into 18 turnovers while committing just 13.
Isaiah Wilkerson paced NJIT (7-15, 2-3) with 19 points, Jheryl Wilson had 15 and Chris Flores added 12.
Houston Baptist snapped a two-game losing streak, while NJIT has dropped back-to-back games.
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- Michigan buries Houston Baptist Dec 7
- Huskies come calling on 22nd-ranked Wolverines Dec 7
- Chicago State victorious in Great West Conference championship Mar 17
- Huskies, Cougars set for Great West title clash Mar 16
- North Dakota claims second straight Great West Conference title Mar 10