East Carolina beats Rice, 76-65Feb 20, 2010 - 10:35 PM HOUSTON(AP) -- Brock Young scored 27 points to lead East Carolina to a 76-65 victory over Rice on Saturday.
Jontae Sherrod added 15 points and Jamar Abrams 13 for the Pirates (9-17, 3-9 Conference USA), who shot 45 percent for the game from the field, including 60 percent in the second half.
Young's jumper late in the first half broke a 24-24 tie and gave East Carolina the lead for good. The Pirates scored the last six points of the half, and the final score matched their biggest lead of the game.
Tamir Jackson scored 22 to lead Rice (8-18, 1-11). Lucas Kuipers scored 14 for the Owls, whose only Conference USA victory this season came last month against East Carolina in Greenville, N.C. Rice won that game 69-58.
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 76
RICE 65 FINAL
Feb 20 4:59 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EAST CAROLINA 30 30
RICE 24 24 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
EAST CAROLINA - BROCK YOUNG 15, JONTAE SHERROD 5, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 4
RICE - LUCAS KUIPERS 8, TAMIR JACKSON 6,
ARSALAN KAZEMI 4
Feb 20 3:52 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Evans leads Rice to 67-54 win over St. Thomas (Texas) Dec 17
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- No. 11 Texas gets back on track by topping Rice Dec 29
- Lone Star State showdown pits Owls against Longhorns Dec 29
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- UNLV nears two-year extension for Rice Mar 29
- Rice tabs VCU assistant Rhoades as coach Mar 26