Jacksonville 76, Mercer 64Feb 21, 2010 - 12:22 AM MACON, Ga. (AP) -- Ben Smith scored a game-high 26 points to lead Jacksonville to a 76-64 win over Mercer on Saturday, solidifying its share of first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
Smith hit just 5-of-12 from the floor, but knocked down two 3-pointers in the second half and was 14 of 17 at the free throw line while dishing out four assists to go with three steals. His performance at the free throw line moved him into first place on Jacksonville's all-time free throws list, surpassing Ralph Tiner's record of 555.
The Dolphins (17-10, 13-5) face A-Sun co-leader Campbell at home on Thursday in a game that could decide the conference crown.
Mercer (14-14, 10-8) cut a 10-point lead down to one with 9:17 left in the game, but the Dolphins went on a 12-3 run from that juncture to push the lead back to 10.
Daniel Emerson had 22 points and 10 boards to lead Mercer.
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- Jacksonville turns to Jasick Apr 9
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- No. 15 Florida cruises past Jacksonville Nov 25
- Sunshine State melee pits Gators against Dolphins Nov 25