Denver defeats cold-shooting New Orleans 53-45Feb 21, 2010 - 4:03 AM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Chase Hallam scored 19 points, and Nate Rohnert had 17 points and 13 rebounds to lead Denver to a 53-45 victory over New Orleans on Saturday night.
The Pioneers (16-11, 9-7 Sun Belt Conference) shot just 31.8 percent (7-for-22) in the first half but that was enough to gain a 20-10 halftime lead. The Privateers (8-19, 3-13) made just 2 of 17 shots (11.8 percent) in the half and didn't get their second field goal until 4:24 remained.
Both teams shot better in the second half and New Orleans was able to cut its deficit to one point three times, the last at 41-40 with 2:29 to play.
Denver held New Orleans off at the free throw line, with Rohnert going 6-for-6 over the final 2:01 and Hallam making two free throws and a jumper.
Carl Blair scored 17 points for New Orleans, making 6 of 8 shots. The rest of the Privateers finished 7-for-33 (21.2 percent).
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Butler downs New Orleans Jan 5
- No. 17 Butler seeks ninth straight win in clash with New Orleans Jan 5
- Cobbs leads Cal over Denver Nov 26
- Golden Bears and Pioneers battle in Berkeley Nov 26