Miami defeats Virginia 74-62Feb 24, 2010 - 2:11 AM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- Dwayne Collins scored 18 points to lead Miami past Virginia 74-62 on Tuesday night.
Julian Gamble scored a season-high 13 points and James Dews added 13 for Miami (18-9, 4-9 Atlantic Coast Conference), which had lost its past two games.
Virginia (14-12, 5-8), which lost its sixth straight game, was led by Sylven Landesberg's 27 points.
He scored eight consecutive points on three jump shots to give Virginia a 28-26 advantage during a back-and-forth first half, but Miami led 33-32 at the break.
Collins scored eight points as Miami went on an 18-5 run to turn a tie at 40 into a 58-45 lead with just over 6 minutes left.
Virginia was unable to pull within single digits the rest of the way.
- NCAA BB
MIAMI FL 74 FINAL
Feb 23 8:57 PM
- NCAA BB
MIAMI FL 33 HALFTIME
Feb 23 7:48 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18