George Mason holds off Delaware 61-59Feb 25, 2010 - 3:12 AM NEWARK, Del.(AP) -- Andre Cornelius scored 16 points and Cam Long had 14 as George Mason rallied to defeat Delaware 61-59 on Wednesday night.
The Patriots (17-12, 12-5 Colonial Athletic Association), who trailed 38-32 at halftime, used a 9-0 second-half run to pull ahead 49-45, then survived poor free throw shooting down the stretch.
The win, coupled with losses by William & Mary and Northeastern, gives George Mason sole possession of third in the CAA, just one game out of second.
Jawan Carter, the second-leading scorer in the CAA, had 25 points to lead the Blue Hens (7-22, 3-14).
The Patriots shot 41.9 percent from the field (18-for-43), but only 53.1 percent from the line (17-for-32).
George Mason hit only 3 of 10 foul shots in the final 6:01. The Blue Hens pulled within 60-59 with 1:41 left, but missed five potential game-winners. A Long free throw capped the scoring.
- NCAA BB
GEORGE MASON 61
DELAWARE 59 FINAL
Feb 24 9:20 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGE MASON 32
DELAWARE 38 HALFTIME
Feb 24 7:52 PM
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- Late free throw helps Delaware top Fairleigh Dickinson 73-72 Nov 24
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- Oklahoma downs George Mason Dec 31
- 18th-ranked Sooners play host to Patriots Dec 31
- Villanova routs Delaware Nov 30
- Undefeated Wildcats entertain hapless Blue Hens Nov 30
- Delaware's Threatt kicked off team Jun 10